Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chocolate pie - FAIL

I had pie crust I needed to use and chocolate I wanted to use. I found this recipe, grandmas chocolate pie, not my g-ma, her g-ma. I thought it would be easy to make. A no brainer. Well apparently, I have no brain. 


My pie was a failure. A complete failure. I shouldn't even show you this but even thought the pie looked terrible and was a little lumpy, it still tasted pretty darn good. 


I've been using this crust. I rolled it out, no problems there. I preheated the oven, no problem. I put the pie crust in the pie dish, no problem. Then I put it in the oven and thats where things started to go wrong. 


The oven ruined my pie. Lets take a look at a crappy picture that just emphasizes my failure. 



Please note the giant air bubble in the center of the crust, even though I pricked it many times with a fork. Also note the edges of the pie crust, which have decided they do not want to stand tall and proud and have folded over and sunken into the air bubble center. 

Oh what's that? You want a closer look at failure crust? Well here ya go!


I call this one Fail of Life. 


After this failure, I thought well its not too bad, I can just finish making the filling and pour it over the crust and make a sort of chocolate tart. 


Yes! A Chocolate Tart is the solution to my failure. I have found the answer!


Then I began making my filling. I melted my chocolate, added the milk and sugar, some flour and a few egg yolks, I added everything I was supposed to and began to cook the filling. I made sure the temperature was just right and whisked my little heart out, trying to make sure that no lumps would form but guess what? Failure pie decided it wanted lumps despite my attempts to keep lumps out.


I then decided I didn't care anymore and just poured the lumpy disaster into the crust that gave up on life and called it a day. I didn't even bother making the meringue that the recipe called for. I couldn't bear anymore impending failure. 


Lets take a look at the completed pie now. 



See the lumps?  They are there, mocking me. 


Here is a large, complete view of my failure. Feel free to gawk and point and giggle a little. 

Here is the recipe if you so choose to try and make this pie. Don't let the ugly appearance of mine keep you from making this pie. It still tasted great. Hope it works out better for you than it did for me.  

Grandma’s chocolate pie
1 pie 8 inch crust, pre-made or homemade
Filling ingredients:
4 tablespoons of cocoa or 1 1/2 squares of baking chocolate
3/4 cups of sugar
5 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 egg yolks, beaten slightly
1 tablespoon of butter


Meringue ingredients:
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of sugar
Method:

Mix your sugar, flour, salt, cocoa, eggs and milk (all except vanilla and butter) with a whisk.
Cook while stirring on medium until it bubbles and thickens, about five to 10 minutes. If it becomes lumpy, just beat out the lumps.
Remove from heat and stir in your vanilla and butter. Meanwhile, poke holes in your pie crust with a fork and bake it at 350 until it’s brown, about 20 minutes.

Beat your egg whites with salt and when they start to get fluffy add the sugar. Pour the chocolate custard into the baked pie shell and top with the beaten egg whites. Bake it until it the peaks on the meringue are lightly browned, about 10 minute.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...